Monday 27 May 2013

Chickpea Casserole





So simple and so hearty, this Chickpea Casserole is the perfect winter comfort food. 

Its a healthy little casserole thats lick-the-bowl delicious, quick to prepare and easy on the budget. Packed full of flavour and a great way to get your daily intake of vegetables.
This is one of those dishes where you can literally use up what's in the fridge. 
It is so versatile, try different combinations of vegetables that are in season to truly nourish your body. I first stumbled across this recipe when dining at my good friend Sonia's house, she is one of the first people who influenced me and showed me that vegetarian food is delicious (it was a few years ago!). This version is as close to the original that I can recall, whenever I make this recipe I always think of her (and our hilarious attempts at playing tennis!). 



I love the way that (for me) food provokes memories and 
transports (me) to another time and place - Trish


  • Take 1 can of Chickpeas (drain) place these in the bottom of a casserole dish. 
  • Saute 1 onion and 1-2 cloves of garlic in approx 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil.
  • Then take 1/2 of a 800g can of chopped tomatoes and layer over the chickpeas.
  • Next layer is the onions and garlic. 
  • Next layer 2 cups of other vegetables (I used red pepper, roasted pumpkin and spinach)
  • Then the other 1/2 of the canned tomatoes.
  • Make sure to add some fresh herbs in the layers 
  • (I used sage and basil) dried herbs is fine too.
  • Top with 1/2 cup of unsweetened greek yoghurt (you could use sour cream) mixed with 1 egg.
  • Sprinkle with crumbed feta cheese


Bake 170 degree celcius for approx 30 minutes or until brown on top and vegetable are cooked through.



How often do you eat "Meatfree"? 

Enjoy!
Trish and Treena x

No comments:

Post a Comment